Tuesday 25 September 2012

Maximon (c) Brian Collins

I saw something new last night: Maximon, photographed by a fellow Camera Club member (reinforcing my view that the role of the photographer is to document and inform).  Maximon is a Mayan folk saint venerate during Holy Week (for more info see Maximon).  I was drawn to this image, not only because it is unusual and is showing me a subject that is new to me, but also because of the lighting in the image. There is fantastic tonal contrast in the monochrome version and you image from the variety of patterns in the fabrics adorning the statue that in real life the whole thing is probably quite garish or gaudy.

Maximon (c) Brian Collins

But, when you see the original, that there are some bright colours, but also some rather subdued hues as well, which surprised me.

Maximon (c) Brian Collins

You can really see how the black and white conversion has strengthed the image and brought a quality of light that enhances the final product. I also really like the tight framing; the photo is all about the effigy and nothing else; also the black and white version helps play down the background.  I would now be interested in seeing more Mayan artifacts!


No comments:

Post a Comment