Saturday 8 September 2012

Another London

The "Another London" exhibition was held at the Tate Britain in London during the summer of 2012.  The exhibition showed photographs of London captured by international photographers between 1930-1980; some tourist, some journalistic assignments, some as refugees; all different.  What was fascinating about this collection was that it has documented artifacts, customes, a way of life that has now disappeared.  I saw things that I remembered from my childhood in the 70s that I had forgotten all about.  This really brought home to me about the fact that whether the photographer deliberately tries to or not, each one is documenting life at the very moment the shutter is pressed.  The photographers and images are too numerous to comment on individually - and there were some really iconic scenes in this collection and a few that would be distrubing had they been taken now.  I have put the catalogue on my Amazon wishlist so that I have a permanent record of the exhibition.  I have found a few articles that also describes the exhibition and show some of the images:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/4fe51e9a-d1d0-11e1-bb82-00144feabdc0.html#axzz25rFGuWTi

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/jul/29/another-london-photographs-tate-review

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/jul/23/another-london-tate-britain-in-pictures

Seeing this exhibition has got me thinking about what is considered normal now that I could capture, which in 20-40 years time might disappear and find its way into a catalogue of life in the 20teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment