Sunday 4 November 2012

Seduced by Art: Photography Past and Present

I went to the Seduced by Art exhibition at the National Gallery on Friday evening.  The point of the exhibition was to display the links between the art classics and photography, e.g. in portraiture.  I found the exhibition interesting, but thought that the connections were a little contrived.  I couldn't always see the connection clearly, although in same cases I could see some similarity.  I think photography is an art in its own right and doesn't need to be compared with classical art.  

What was significantly more interesting was the film showing the exploding flowers: a vase of flowers, with charges attached had been frozen with nitrogen and then detonated from a distance, creating a spectacular image Blow Up by Ori Gersht.  I was also pleased to see two Delahaye images in the exhibition, one of which I had previously seen at the Prix Pictet exhibition - 132nd Meeting of the Ordinary Conference - and one I hadn't previously seen named Detail From US Bombing on Taliban Positions which was compared with Battle of Jemappes by Vernet.

I also liked the chaotic bedroom pictures - my friends who came with me commented that these resembled their teenage daughter's room, and I found the poster image of the Man with Octopuss Tattoo by Richard Learoyd interesting: this image works on many levels - limited colour pallette, central composition with diagonal tattoo, subject matter.

For more information see:





No comments:

Post a Comment