Sunday 19 May 2013

Photography Monthly - June 2013 edition

I love long exposure landscapes.  This is slowly becoming an obsession and even more so now I have an ND filter!  I love love love love love them!  In this month's PM there is an article about Trevor Cotton and how he uses long exposures and minimal colours to create landscapes with a difference - see pages 28 - 32.

These landscapes are about sea and sky and describe how Cotton produces almost abstract effects with misty water and moving skies.  Looking at the meta data published, he seems to favour ISO 100 (necessary with such a long exposure) with a medium aperture f/11 - f/15 and exposures between one and four minutes - presumably depending on available light - and the addition of a LEE 10 Stop and and LEE ND Grad.   The result of this is beautiful with the foreground sharp and the background disappearing into the horizon.  Using a long extension subject such as an old jetty is very effective as the eye is taken into the picture by the subject and further on into the blurred horizon.  The minimal colour is achieved by post processing.    I have noticed recently that I am drawn to landscape images using a minimal colour scheme - not sure why - but I think the simplicity of colour helps emphasise texture and atmosphere - particularly in these almost surreal landscapes. 

For examples of Cotton's work, please see his website, as he has explicitly requested for his images not to be reproduced.

However, I can show my own first few attempts at long exposure landscapes with my ND filter:






No comments:

Post a Comment