Sunday 21 October 2012

Sheep In Snow (c) Margot Baker

A delightful image taken by a fellow camera club member, Margot Baker: this was entered into a print competition last week.  What really made the image for me was the effect of the printing - somehow it looked as if the trees were bleeding very slightly into the sky - which was stunning.  This image works really well on many levels: the contrast between the bright snow and the threatening sky, the above-centre curved horizon line taking your eye towards the tree, the triangle sheep formation, with two eating and one looking, and the subtle shadows.  There is also an implied line from where the horizon intersects the left-hand verticle pointing towards the sheep in the bottom right-hand side of the foreground.  I found that in my mind I had an arrowhead shape from right to left making the image quite dynamic. Although there is plenty of light in this image, you can imagine the cold and feel sorry for the sheep finding grass growing through the snow.

I really really like this photo and I think it works well in monochrome.  I'm now hoping to see a similar sight in the Lake District this winter!



Sheep in Snow (c) Margot Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment